“God desires us to care for our health-spirit, soul, and body.”
Dr. Cris Enriquez, author of The Healthy Life
Remember that your body is God’s temple (1 Cor. 6:19). Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God (1 Cor. 10:31)
Mission and Bylaws
Vision: We believe that with the necessary support and guidance, God’s people can maximize their health spiritually, physically, emotionally/mentally, socially and economically!
Purpose/Mission: The purpose/mission of the Health Ministry at the Genesee Baptist Church is threefold:
- Promote the concept of wellness in the above five facets of parishioner’s lives
- Prevent illness (disease) among the immediate and surrounding church community
- Encourage early intervention to restore health and minimize complications.
- Engage the church community in health promotion, disease prevention and early intervention activities.
- Offer primary prevention activities such as sponsored and cosponsored seminars and workshops designed to educate parishioners about making informed health-related choices and decisions
- Provide on-site screenings for health problems for which parishioners are disproportionately affected.
- Collaborate and/or partner with other organizations (faith-based and broader) that have a similar mission of promoting wellness, preventing illness, and encouraging early interventions.
Selected Strategies Include:
- Maintaining an up to date, Health Ministry Bulletin Board with newsworthy and upcoming events
- Offering ongoing fitness programs such as aerobics, and walk into spring with the Pastor
- Holding forums on healthy lifestyles (eating healthy, mind, body, spiritual health)
- Improving self-help activities (i.e., knowing what your lab numbers mean and the benefits of partnering with your health provider)
- Holding forums on socioeconomic health (i.e., financial freedom workshops, quarterly after service ‘meet and greets’)
- Offering annual seminars especially targeting school-aged children, teens, and older adults
- Blood Pressure Screenings twice a month, immediately after service
- Medical Moments ( every two or three months present a 3 – 5 minute health tip by a health ministry member; could be easily incorporated after the morning announcements)
- Disseminate a monthly Health Ministry Newsletter
- Although collaborative organizations, The Health Ministry is separate from the Nurse’s Guild. Health Ministry members do not dispense medications; not even Aspirin, Tylenol or Ibuprofen).
- Membership is open to all interested male and female church members interested in health and fitness. Members are not required to be a health professional.
Health Ministry Coordinator:
Meetings Quarterly (forums, workshops, informational meetings):
Family Health Forum September 19, 2015:
8:00 AM – 12:00 Noon
Monday September 14, 2015
6:00 PM – 7:30 PM
Health Ministry Newsletters: